8. Citizenship at the Commencement of the Constitution:
At the commencement of this Constitution, the following persons who have their domicile in Nepal shall be deemed to be citizens of Nepal:
- any person who is a citizen of Nepal by virtue of Article 7 of the Constitution of Nepal (1962) or section 3 of the Nepal Citizenship Act, 1964,
- any person who has acquired naturalized citizenship of Nepal by virtue of section 6 of the Nepal Citizenship Act, 1964.
9. Acquisition and Termination of Citizenship after the Commencement of the Constitution:
(1) A person who is born after the commencement of this Constitution and whose father is a citizen of Nepal at the birth of the child shall be a citizen of Nepal by descent.
(2) Every child who is found within the Kingdom of Nepal and the whereabouts of whose parents are not known shall, until the father of the child is traced, be deemed to be a citizen of Nepal by descent.
(3) Whenever any territory is acquired by way of incorporation into the Kingdom of Nepal, every person having his domicile within such territory shall become a citizen of Nepal, subject to the provisions of existing laws.
(4) After the commencement of this Constitution, the acquisition of citizenship of Nepal by a foreigner may be regulated by law which may, inter alia, require the fulfillment of the following conditions:
- that he can speak and write the language of the nation of Nepal;
- that he is engaged in any occupation in Nepal;
- that he has renounced his citizenship of another country; and
- that he has resided in Nepal for at least fifteen years.
(5) Notwithstanding anything contained in clause (4), a woman of foreign nationality who has a matrimonial relationship with a Nepalese citizen and who has initiated proceedings for renunciation of her foreign citizenship, and any other person, who has renounced the citizenship of Nepal and has gone to a foreign country but who has renounced his foreign citizenship, may acquire the citizenship of Nepal .
(6) Notwithstanding anything contained in sub-clauses (b) and (d) of clause (4), the son or daughter or descendant of a citizen of Nepal and who has resided in Nepal for a period of at least two years may acquire the citizenship of Nepal on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed by law:
Provided that this clause shall not be applicable in the case of descendants of naturalized citizens.
(7) The termination of the citizenship of Nepal shall be as determined by law.
10. Conferment of Honorary Citizenship:
Notwithstanding anything contained in Article 9, honorary citizenship may be granted to any internationally renowned person.